This post originally appeared on my Patreon.
It took longer than I would have liked, but Twine 2.0.9pre1 is now available for download. As the "pre" implies, this is not a full release and isn't linked from the Twine home page-- this instead a chance for people who are interested in testing to help catch any last-minute bugs before a real release goes out.
This is a change in the release process, for two reasons mainly:
- Twine 2.0.7 made it out the door with a bad bug that caused real issues in the app versions. It was quickly recognized and I was able to rush 2.0.8 to get that addressed, but it was a little embarassing that something so basic made it into a release, and it was way more hassle than it should have been.
- There have been major code changes, as well as changes in how I set up tests, that make me want to be extra careful before loosing this on the world.
In order to give this version a try, you'll need to take a trip to the Bitbucket project page and choose the appropriate file. twine.2.0.9pre1.zip is just the web version zipped for local use; you probably want one of the larger versions that are marked with a platform name. (If you are on Windows, try this page for instructions on whether you want the 32-bit or 64-bit version.)
Here are the changes you'll notice while working with Twine:
- We have a whole bunch more localizations! This version adds Danish, French, Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, and Russian.
- Corrects a bug where you might have seen gray space around your story map after zooming in or out.
- If you have a quick search highlighting passages, it will now update properly after changing a passage.
- Indentation now works more consistently in the passage editor. (It used to always use spaces, even if you had hit the tab key previously.)
- It's now easier for users on the same computer on OS X to use the same Twine application. (Some people ran into permissions problems.)
- Corrects a problem where the desktop apps would complain incorrectly about the size of your story.
- A display glitch where you'd sometimes see two scroll bars in the passage editor has been fixed.
- Global variables no longer leak into test versions of stories. This you probably only noticed if you are a web developer kind of person -- what would happen is that certain libraries, like Underscore, would be available in test versions of stories but not the published ones.
Under the hood, the changes are bigger.
- We now use Browserify to break up the code into more manageable modules.
- Switched from jslint to eslint.
- Switched from YUIDoc to JSDoc 3.
- Returned to Grunt for the build process after a flirtation with Gulp.
Those are pretty big changes, and I'll probably devote some words to why I made some of those decisions in the future. In the meantime, if you have general feedback on this version, please take a trip over to the Twine forums! If you notice a bug, please go ahead and report it at Bitbucket.